2. But her idea for Grey's Anatomy really started to develop after a doctor told her how hard it is to shave her legs in a hospital shower.
3. Rhimes almost set Grey's Anatomy in her hometown, Chicago, but decided not to in order to not have the show feel too similar to another medical drama, E.R., which is set in the same city.
4. Grey's Anatomy was going to be called Complications.
5. Miranda Bailey was the only role written with a character description: "tiny blonde with curls."
6. She was loosely based off Rhimes' mother.
7. But when Chandra Wilson auditioned, Rhimes was convinced she was perfect.
8. Sandra Oh originally auditioned for the part of Bailey.
9. But Oh loved the character of Cristina Yang and asked if she could read for her.
10. Ellen Pompeo wanted to do a different ABC pilot, written by Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman, called Secret Service. When that didn't get picked up, she was asked to play Meredith Grey.
11. When Patrick Dempsey first auditioned, he was terrified of Rhimes because of her stone-cold expression.
12. But Rhimes was actually trying to figure out what she could write for the, in her words, "dreamy" actor.
ABC via no-one-tells-me-who-i-love.tumblr.com
13. James Pickens Jr. got the part of Dr. Richard Webber just minutes after he auditioned. After he read, they asked him to step into the hall, and when they brought him back in, he was offered the part.
14. Isaiah Washington originally auditioned for the role of Dr. Derek Shepherd.
15. Though Washington didn't win that part, he got a call that the actor who had signed on to play Dr. Preston Burke had to drop out and the writers wanted him for the part.
16. The character Alex Karev (Justin Chambers) was added to the script after the pilot had already been shot, so all of his scenes were digitally implanted into the episode.
17. Rhimes started Meredith, Cristina, Alex, George, and Izzie as interns instead of established surgeons because she thought "there's something really horrible about not knowing what you're doing for a living."
18. Pompeo didn't know that Derek was married until the Season 1 finale was being filmed.
19. And Dempsey didn't know his character was married until halfway through the first season.
20. Kate Walsh was initially hired for only a few episodes, but she had such great chemistry with the cast that she was brought on full time and eventually given her own spin-off, Private Practice.